Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Day 13

When we got in this morning we found Ash had no nasogastric tube in his nose for feeding - the nurse was waiting for us to arrive so that I could breastfeed Ash. He did really, really well and after a change and a burp had a good sleep and was very settled. As it was approaching time for his next feed I was asking the nurse about putting his tube in when she surprised me by saying as long as he remained settled between feeds she intended for me to continue to breastfeed him throughout the day, and they would put an oralgastric tube in his mouth for his overnight feeds. Apparently if he has a couple of breastfeeds throughout the day and is still settled and gains weight the doctors might allow him to trial moving onto bottle feeds (using the milk I've expressed) for the times I'm not there and he wont need a tube put in for feeds anymore. Once he's on all suck feeds the last milestone to reach before coming home is his weight goal! So the 2nd feed he wasn't as interested and was sleepy, but the last one he did really well again - the whole time I was there today he was fully breastfed and had no tubes and it was so nice to be able to see his beautiful face properly. It was also an exhausting day as once I settled him after each feed I then expressed to keep up my supply. We are well settled in at Bankstown now, I get on well with the staff and we have our own little routine.

Yesterday his Nanna had her first cuddle with Ash - I have some lovely photos of this that I want to put up and I know I promised pictures today but it will have to wait till tomorrow! His Grandad (my Dad) just got back from a trip away and I can't wait to see his reaction to how much Ash has changed since he saw him 9 days ago. Sadly at Bankstown my sister Jody and friend Ains can't see Ash anymore due to a different visiting policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment