All this week I've been staying away from the hospital it's been self-imposed, I chose not to risk exposing Ashwin to Hand, Foot and Mouth disease. The nurses knew how much I was missing him so the Nursing Unit Manager (NUM) said I could visit if I wear a gown and mask. Jai's last ulcer is just about healed up anyway so I was going to start visiting from tomorrow again anyway but was happy that I'd be able to spend some time with Ash tonight too. An hour or so later I got another call to say the Paediatric Registrar had been around and decided I'm not allowed to visit the nursery until the boys and I get clearance from a GP, and added to my notes "mother not allowed to visit" so now it was official, not even a quick peek at him when I drop off my milk, I was banned from the nursery. The nurses were upset for me and had strongly objected and supported me but been unable to change the doctors mind.
Another couple of hours later and one of the nurses I get on very well with called back to say when the NUM found out what had happened she went above the Paediatricians head to a consultant and they supported her plan of allowing me to visit if I wear a gown, mask and gloves. There was no indication though of when I'd be able to visit without these measures and feed him again.
So as things stand now I'll visit him tonight with the gown etc, and I made an appointment for Jai, Taj and I at the gp tomorrow to get clearance so that I'll be able to feed him again. I also want the clearance put in Ashwin's file to cover the NUM that went out of her way to advocate for me. It all seems very strange that I have all these other people deciding whether I can see, touch or feed my own baby and makes me even more eager to get him home. Just 96gms to go!
No comments:
Post a Comment